Re: IETF Slack workspace

Because adding more tools for collaboration makes it harder, not easier, to participate.

When we deal with a technical issue, there is usually a draft. The conversation about this draft already happens in several places:
  • The working group mailing list
  • Occasionally, the IETF or last-call mailing lists
  • GitHub if that is where the document is developed
  • Physical or Meetecho WG meetings
  • Jabber / Meetecho chat

In order to follow the conversation about this draft, you have to be on *all* of them. If you don’t like github, some conversation is going to happen there, and you will miss it.

By adding more tools,  you increase the requirements to participate in the conversation.  A diversity of tools helps when it gives you another option to have a conversation where each conversation uses one tool.  Here we have one conversation that is happening using many tools.

Yoav