Re: AD sponsored Consensus vs. draft version

Hi, Robert,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 2:46 PM Robert Sparks <rjsparks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Specifically that flag is _only_ an indication to downstream processing
that the consensus boilerplate is expected to be used if the document is
prepared as an RFC.

The field is horribly named, and causes this kind of misapprehension
periodically. It needs to be renamed (and that is already on the list of
things to do).

Thank you for this!

We routinely had WG chairs that set it because they had *working group* consensus, before they requested publication.

Just to follow on Joel's answer to Timothy's question - if the document is to be published in the IETF stream, and consensus is required, either the document achieves consensus (in whatever form), or it would not be published, post-https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8789/. So, "IESG Approval" is the key indicator of whether that happened or not.

Best,

Spencer

RjS