RE: Egypt as the next venue.

I'm an egyptian, so I don't care about the news you got through the TV, I live here and see what's going on, just ask your advisor what is the reason of saying that, they will inform you this is what we have to say just to keep our people safe ha wherever they go.

Khaled Omar

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:06 PM
To: Khaled Omar <eng.khaled.omar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ole Jacobsen <olejacobsen@xxxxxx>; sarikaya@xxxxxxxx; IETF Discussion <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Egypt as the next venue.

Hi.

The issue here is not our subjective sense of danger.

The issue is that as long as the US government has an advisory like that, many US-based companies will not authorize travel to Egypt. And engineers whose travel is funded by their US-based employer make up more than 50% of the attendees in a typical face-to-face meeting. That includes me, because although I’m not an American, my employer is.

The current advisory as quoted by Ole makes a specific exception for Sharm el Sheikh. That is likely the result of lobbying by the Egyptian government. Good for them, but a single attack, even if not successful can remove the exception. That is something that the IETF needs to take into consideration.

Yoav