Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-spl-terminology-03.txt> (Special Purpose Label terminology) to Informational RFC

On 23/08/2020 21:47, Adrian Farrel wrote:
Hi Tom,

You're right (a condition that must be scarily familiar for you).

Probably...

OLD
    o  Collectively, the two ranges are known as Special Purpose Labels
       (SPL).

    o  The special purpose labels from the lower range will be called
       Base Special Purpose Labels (bSPL).

    o  The special purpose labels from the higher range will be called
       Extended Special Purpose Labels (eSPL).
NEW
    o  Collectively, the two ranges (0-15, and 16-1048575) are known
        as Special Purpose Labels (SPL).

    o  The special purpose labels from the lower range (0-15) will be
        called Base Special Purpose Labels (bSPL).

    o  The special purpose labels from the higher range (16-1048575)
         will be called Extended Special Purpose Labels (eSPL).  The
         reserved values 0-15 from the 'Extended Special-Purpose MPLS
         Label Values' registry do not need a name as they can never be
         used.
END

Yes, clearer.

Perhaps
"       The
    reserved values 0-15 from the 'Extended Special-Purpose MPLS
Label Values' registry do not need a name as they are not available for allocation. " to tie in with the wording of IANA. They SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT be used but I can see some independent-minded organisation deciding that because noone else will ever use them then they can and they will so I think 'can never be used' is not quite right. They can never be allocated so we do not need an identifier for them, which is what I am wanting to express.

I note that this is Informational and so RFC2119 language is best avoided.

Tom Petch

Best,
Adrian