Re: Terminology discussion threads

On 8/14/20 3:52 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
You're quite right that "prominent" is poorly chosen; my apologies and
thank you for noting it.

I was attempting to use it as a shorthand to convey two parallel concerns:

- if the people who think that their leaving is noteworthy are leaving, who
   else is leaving for the same reasons but not bothering to make an
   announcement?

- if the experts on a given topic (the "people who wrote the book", if you
   will forgive the expression) are not in the room, how do we know that the
   right people have looked at a given topic/issue/question to ensure that the
   details of that topic have been fully considered?

I do recognize that this last point bears significant similarity to your
comment about "community members whose opinions are more important than
others", but in this case I think my concerns can be characterized more as
regarding the breadth of expertise available rather than giving particular
enhanced weight to the opinions of some community members in the abstract.
The first point serves to augment the concerns, of course.

  I guess while we do not believe in kings, presidents, and voting we most
definitely do have a nomenklatura.

  Dan.

p.s. I think if you polled the lesser members of the IETF you'd find a few
published authors-- i.e. "people who wrote the book."