Re: A Public Option for the Core

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 3:42 PM Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 3:17 PM Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > How is this different from a non-profit IX ?
> >

> it sounds like the proposal is effectively (to use your example) a
> "global non-profit IX".
>
> It sounds like the expectation is likely that:
>   1) 'the core' operates globally as a neutral provider
>   2) 'the core' offers 'transit' to end-networks (LMPs) at a cost
> which is not ... usery
>   3) all of the global areas have the same world view on 'Network Neutrality'
>
> It seems ... like a pretty high lift to move from today to the utopia proposed.

Yeah -- the word "utopia" in this is an important one -- if we lived
in a utopia, this proposal seems like it would work - "a rising tide"
and all that. But, in the current (and foreseeable future) the world
just doesn't work like this...

Warren "Cynical" Kumari.

> > How could you prevent ISPs from purposefully ignoring the poc?
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Aug 11, 2020, at 14:50, Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Scott Shenker et al. just presented a pretty thought-provoking "public option" for the Internet's core backbone at SIGCOMM: https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3387514.3405875
> > >
> > > If you scroll down (or go to https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3387514..3405875#sec-supp), his recorded talk video gives a high-level overview.
> > >
> > > (PDF and video *should* be open access and work for me, but you never know with the ACM...)
> > >
> > > Lars

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf