RE: [Offlist] IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Hi Barbara,
At 02:09 PM 29-07-2020, STARK, BARBARA H wrote:
The sort of "language policing" you describe is where the people in power prevented people not in power from expressing their views and opinions. It is not about the people in power policing their own language so as not to (intentionally?) oppress people not in power. The powerful regimes you reference were very effective at selecting words to maximize oppression ? and theyy knew it.

In my opinion, the two persons who commented about "language control" probably have a better understanding of how it was applied at their locations.

IETF is powerful. The people who are able to get RFCs published are powerful. The suggestion being made in this thread is that the IETF proceed in a way to minimize oppression of marginalized communities that IETF's words might cause. I don't think outright bans are useful. I do think it's a good idea to ask authors to make conscious decision to use words that we know communities of marginalized people say harms them.

I don't see being listed as an author of an IETF document which was published as a sign of power. If that was the case, I would not be sending comments as a reviewer of a draft.

I would give Ms Knodel and Mr ten Oever credit for writing about a topic which some people might not like discuss openly.

People who are at the periphery of what is described as "community" are sometimes told that "we have a mailing list" if you are unable to get to a meeting. Sometimes, the question is ignored; I guess that it is for "language control".

Language matters, as the debate over such things as Texas schoolbooks * shows us. It can be as insidious as the order in which things are presented, omission of select information, and use of passive vs. active tense (so no-one and nothing gets

I am not familiar with the Texas schoolbooks debate; I vaguely recall reading about a schoolbooks issue which occurred in the United States several years or more ago.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy