Re: Some more thoughts about language and what to do next

I think there are two different things under discussion: 1) language
used in our documents, and 2) language used in our discussions, both
online and off.  draft-knodel is very clear that it's the former that's
in scope, stating in the abstract:

   This document argues for moving away from specific language
   conventions used by RFC authors and RFC Editors in order to encourage
   inclusive terminology in the ongoing RFC series.

I am not overly concerned about colloquialisms making it through working
group last call, let alone through the RFC Editor process.  So, while
whether or not "folks" and similar are going to be alienating is an
interesting and likely worthwhile discussion to have, it's outside the
scope of this particular document.

Melinda

[on reread, aside from other issues draft-knodel is a little squishy
about whether it's arguing for change or specifying those changes,
which is probably a minor point but wouldn't be much effort to
clarify]

--
Melinda Shore
melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx