Re: Some more thoughts about language and what to do next

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:56 AM Bron Gondwana <brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Most of all, I think it's a mistake for either "side" to catastrophise the choices ahead of them - and it would be a mistake to allow the IETF to be made a "front" in anybody's attempt to use power to force "consensus" on society faster than it is naturally evolving.  It takes a long time to move public opinion on things.

Yes, I think the way some people feel about "y'all" and "folks" is that they're cloying--particularly if it seems like the speaker/writer doesn't use those words most of the time. That doesn't make them incorrect or offensive, but it's something to watch out for. That said, it is possible to use contractions in a derogatory way, especially in quotations.

Perhaps a thesaurus is what's called for. No words are banned, but there is a list of alternatives...

thanks,
Rob