Re: [Offlist] IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 7/24/2020 4:11 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> Otherwise, absent manifestly provocative or hostile intent (we'll
> generally only know it when we see it), it is likely best to not police
> language merely on the grounds that it uses words that out of context
> are tenuously connected to (might remind one of) a present or historical
> injustice.

Viktor,

There is a significant difference between policing speech and being
careful of the way we write technical specifications. What we seem to be
debating here is the narrow issue of metaphors used in technical
specifications. And I do agree with the statement that metaphors like
"master/slave" or "white list/black list" are best avoided. I also don't
think this a huge burden. I speak from practice here. My former
employer, Microsoft, has been avoiding these terms in technical
specifications for years. That language restriction never prevented me
from writing technical specifications or contributing to technical
discussions.

-- Christian Huitema