Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Hi -

On 7/24/2020 2:15 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
You think it is not only unavoidable, but also fine if over time we have to periodically
change the word we use for the same subject because word N-1 has accumulated to much
negative connotations ?

It's not unheard of for languages to do that.  An obvious example
is the German word "Frau".  The Middle-high German equivalent in
meaning is "wîp".  "Wîp" (which has since become "Weib") had accumulated
too many negative connotations, so usage appropriated "vrouwe" ("noblewoman",
modern orthography "Frau") to serve the more general purpose.

Randy