Re: Challenge: Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sam,
At 04:45 AM 14-07-2020, Samuel Weiler wrote:
>The list at [1] also includes Henrik as a tools team advisor.

>It is interesting how the number of non-voting NomCom members has
>grown over time.  This list has nine(!) non-voting members, and that
>is before the voting members have been seated and potentially added
>more.  NomCom 2019 had 8.  NomCom 2018 had 7.  NomCom 2017 had 6.
>NomComs 2016 and 2015 each had only 5. [2]

Yes.

The rationale here is that the IETF structure has changed substantially over the past 3 years with the introduction of IASA 2.0.  Given two of these bodies are new or new in how they function, getting input from a representative from these bodies seems quite reasonable.  The changes were related to additional (chair requested) liaisons (at least through my tenure).  The presumption that voting members will naturally know what is required for a given role (especially since two of them had substantially changed or were added), seems unreasonable and utilizing liaisons seems to make sense.   LIaisons cna provide needed information as to what the demands or needs are for a given role.  As far as I can tell, Liaisons have acted honorably and in accordance with how the Chair has requested they participate.

Tools advisors are common since there is a lot of process involved in executing the role correctly, much of which is tooled and/or requires tools support.  The past chair typically serves as an advisor as both a backup and to ensure process is followed and guidance (based on experience executing that function) provided.  The defined process for executing the Nomcom (on purpose) needs to be followed to ensure fairness and consistency.

regards,

Victor K

Regards,
S. Moonesamy