From: Brian Haberman <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 12:11 PM
To: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ops-dir@xxxxxxxx
Cc: draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds.all@xxxxxxxx; ntp@xxxxxxxx; last-call@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-08

Hi Linda,

On 6/8/20 6:52 PM, Linda Dunbar via Datatracker wrote:
> Reviewer: Linda Dunbar
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Ops area directorate's
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the Ops area directors.
> Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like
> any other last call comments.
>
> This document describes the structure of the control messages that
> were historically used with the Network Time Protocol. Being
> historical document, I would expect the document to give a description
> on what the Control Message are for, who is the sender, and who is the
> receiver, is the Control Message broadcast to every node in the
> network? or only between some nodes? The document describes the bits
> in detail for Mode =6 and Mode =7. The RFC1305 has a lot of
> information, but can't pinpoint the Control message's purpose. Are the
> control messages for distributing time from Stratum 0 to Stratum 1?  or between network nodes?

As Ulrich pointed out, these messages are for controlling/monitoring an running NTP server. These messages are not meant for server-to-server exchanges, rather for "management station" to server exchanges.

As for the "who uses it" question, I thought section 1.2 captured a good representation of that (e.g., ntpdc) for mode 7. Section 1.1 describes the basic framework for the use of mode 6, but doesn't provide a concrete example.

I can craft some text for section 1.1 that explicitly talks about managing NTP servers.

Regards,
Brian