Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-08

Hi Linda,

On 6/8/20 6:52 PM, Linda Dunbar via Datatracker wrote:
> Reviewer: Linda Dunbar
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Ops area directorate's ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written primarily for the benefit of the Ops area directors.
> Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other
> last call comments.
>
> This document describes the structure of the control messages that were
> historically used with the Network Time Protocol. Being historical document, I
> would expect the document to give a description on what the Control Message are
> for, who is the sender, and who is the receiver, is the Control Message
> broadcast to every node in the network? or only between some nodes? The
> document describes the bits in detail for Mode =6 and Mode =7. The RFC1305 has
> a lot of information, but can't pinpoint the Control message's purpose. Are the
> control messages for distributing time from Stratum 0 to Stratum 1?  or between
> network nodes?

As Ulrich pointed out, these messages are for controlling/monitoring an
running NTP server. These messages are not meant for server-to-server
exchanges, rather for "management station" to server exchanges.

As for the "who uses it" question, I thought section 1.2 captured a good
representation of that (e.g., ntpdc) for mode 7. Section 1.1 describes
the basic framework for the use of mode 6, but doesn't provide a
concrete example.

I can craft some text for section 1.1 that explicitly talks about
managing NTP servers.

Regards,
Brian