Re: Specific Questions about Registration details for IETF 108

Right, but we learned an important lesson: Access to the meeting *area* is useful
not just for attendees, but also for their companions. Thus was born the now official
Companion Program which is not a free ticket to the meetings, but does (for a modest fee)
give access to the meeting area and even the opening reception.

Ole

> On 11 Jun 2020, at 14:04, Samuel Weiler <weiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:36:16 PM EDT Samuel Weiler wrote:
>>> In any case, I think the Beijing debacle does not set precedent, since
>>> that requirement was imposed by someone other than ourselves.  Badge
>>> checking is not normal practice at a normal IETF meeting.  And the
>>> Beijing meeting was not normal.
>>
>> The IETF held the meeting there knowing what the requirement would be, so no.
>> The IETF made the choice.  Every location is different.  When the IETF decides
>> to meet somewhere, then the IETF has determined that local conditions are
>> acceptable.
>
> We knew about the network access control requirement (as demonstrated by the experiment in Maastricht).  We did not know about the badge police.
>
> -- Sam

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal