Re: Specific Questions about Registration details for IETF 108

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, Scott Kitterman wrote:

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:36:16 PM EDT Samuel Weiler wrote:
In any case, I think the Beijing debacle does not set precedent, since
that requirement was imposed by someone other than ourselves.  Badge
checking is not normal practice at a normal IETF meeting.  And the
Beijing meeting was not normal.

The IETF held the meeting there knowing what the requirement would be, so no.
The IETF made the choice.  Every location is different.  When the IETF decides
to meet somewhere, then the IETF has determined that local conditions are
acceptable.

We knew about the network access control requirement (as demonstrated by the experiment in Maastricht). We did not know about the badge police.

-- Sam