Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Michael Thomas <mike@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/11/20 12:07 PM, Russ Housley wrote:

>> On Jun 11, 2020, at 2:42 PM, STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> IETF likes to experiment. So we should experiment with a trust model. Trust that only those who need the waiver will request it, and see what happens.
>> Barbara
>
> I really like this idea.

Not to be a wet blanket but what happens if corpro bean counters find
out that they can game the system for the cost of a checkbox?

And what do the same bean counters say when it comes to sponsoring a coffee break?

I really doubt that the issue is going to be 'bean counting'. A much bigger issue for me has been everything I would ask for was an extraordinary request. There is an overhead in terms of time and effort for establishing a slot for a type of request.

When I was a student I found that it was often easier to get $50,000 than $500.