Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

On 6/11/20 7:51 AM, Jay Daley wrote:

> A final question for you - if the IESG/LLC had had the time to open up a
> debate/discussion on this and the IESG/LLC had gone ahead with this
> despite your opposition, would we be anywhere different from where we
> are now?

I doubt that we would be in the same position as we are now, but to
directly answer your question: yes. This question seems unfair to me
since it seems to presuppose that we all view the process of
consensus-building as a means to a very narrow end. Open discussions are
valuable for other reasons, one of them being that they lead to a shared
understanding of the ultimate decision(s).

In this matter, if an open discussion had happened, we would have had a
better understanding of the considerations behind fee proposals for this
meeting. We would have developed, in advance, a model for how to
approach the fee for future meetings. We may now end up doing the same
things, of course, but it will be with a hint of disappointment in the
fact that a consultation did not happen as it should have.

This is all to say: even if we arrived at the same place that we are now
(in terms of this meeting's fee) after an open discussion, it would have
been a much better outcome for several other reasons.