Re: Registration details for IETF 108

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote on 02/06/2020 17:03:
The brute facts we face are that international travel is certain to be infeasible for the remainder of the year and quite likely for some time beyond, that the IETF business model is predicated on income from in-person meetings that can't now take place and this leaves few options on the table.

there are a lot of ways of looking at this, but there is a human interaction issue here. No-one denies the realities of international travel or the obligation of the LLC to implement realistic financial policies for the company. In an ecosystem like the ietf, if the decision had been handled as soliciting input + getting buy-in, and not as a unilateral imposition, I suspect peoples' hackles wouldn't have been raised nearly as much. Downstream, it would have made discussion about meetings after 108 much easier.

It's easy to be wise after the fact and also when you're not in the hot seat.

My point was simply that we need to approach post-IETF108 meeting charges without prejudice to the IETF108 decision, and hopefully also learn from it.

Nick