Re: Registration details for IETF 108

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:16 AM Nick Hilliard <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric Rescorla wrote on 02/06/2020 13:57:
> This seems like entirely appropriate practice on short notice.

neither side's position seems unreasonable from their own point of view:
the LLC needs to make executive decisions and sometimes these will be
problematic. Conversely, the IETF community has an expectation that
there's engagement about policy changes before they happen.

Hmm... This doesn't seem like the right framing to me in several respects:

First, I think everyone agrees that some kinds of policy changes would need consultation. For instance, if the LLC were to decide that in perpetuity we were not to havemeetings or that we were to have 6 a year, that would clearly need consultation. On the other hand, I (would hope) that everyone agrees that some changes could be made by executive  decision. For instance, moving the refund date forward or back by a day would I hope not require community consultation. So the question at hand is what kind of decision this is.

Second, as you can see from the thread above, it's not correct that "the iETF community" has an expectation they should have been consulted about this in advance. Rather, part of the IETF community does and some of it thinks this was fine.

-Ekr