Re: Registration details for IETF 108

Hi Ted,
At 02:41 PM 02-06-2020, Ted Hardie wrote:
Well, we agree that we disagree. From my perspective, zero is not a magic number, and the status quo is not doctrine. Both, in the case, are part of a balancing act that goes into making sure the IETF works both for a meeting and for the long term. Handing financial responsibility for that without the relevant authority is an invitation to silly states.

I read an email about "registration details" and that was went I was informed that there would be a fee for IETF 108. I asked who took the decision as it was not clear. I did not argue for or against whether a fee should be charged.

The next meeting will be covered by the "Note Well". It is standards process as that has been the custom. It has been free for me to attend or participate. Now, it is not free. In my opinion, it is not up to the IETF Administration LLC Executive Director to decide that. That opinion is based on the discussions and documents from IASA2. It might sound silly that such a decision requires debate given that the fee was $1; it is not about the amount.

There is a research group which scheduled a session about "rights" at the next meeting. I'll wait and see what it will do. For what it is worth, I am not into digital rights as it could potentially cause a conflict.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy