Re: Registration details for IETF 108

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hiya,

I think this bit is where our disagreement is most clear:

On 02/06/2020 22:16, Ted Hardie wrote:
> But somebody has to be the stuckee for the decision on the money side of
> that, and at the moment it is the LLC.

The move from zero to non-zero is not "on the money
side" as the status-quo involves no fee. (Ignoring
the exception that will be IETF108.)

Well, we agree that we disagree.  From my perspective, zero is not a magic number, and the status quo is not doctrine.  Both, in the case, are part of a balancing act that goes into making sure the IETF works both for a meeting and for the long term.  Handing financial responsibility for that without the relevant authority is an invitation to silly states.

FWIW, this discussion is convincing me more that
the LLC definitely ought not be setting such policies.

And you are convincing me that attempting to settle it on the IETF list will require somebody to judge consensus, since there look to be a minimum of two people with the time and keyboards available to disagree.  We apparently, however, disagree on who that should be.

best,

Ted

S.