RE: packets of multiple users sent over the same TCP/IP session

Hi Valdis,

Thanks for the reply.

SMPP is a good example to what I am looking for, and I am trying to see if
other
protocol foreseen in the future (or past) have the same characteristics:

The special thing about SMPP is that in the same TCP/IP session packet that
are really SMS embedded in IP
are sent from one network element (called SMSC) to another (called ESME) -
so that the packets (i.e. SMS) belong to different mobile users.

In this case I cannot map the IP address of the TCP session to one specific
mobile subscriber - and the only way I can
identify the subscriber is by "looking" on the SMPP layer (above the TCP)
and extract the subscriber mobile number.

Another example may be SMTP (not sure).

Anyway the thing I am trying to solve is whether I should consider this kind
of protocol characteristic as "special" and "rare", and so build a dedicated
solution for SMPP, or maybe I can expect to see many more such protocol and
so I should build a more generic solution.

It is obvious to me that a generic solution is better technically, but since
my resources (i.e. time) is limited,
I need to see how rare this kind of protocol (same TCP/IP with packets of
multiple users) is common/expected.

Another characteristic of SMPP that I am looking for its "commonness" is the
fact that there could be many
TCP/IP session from many SCSCs to ESMEs at the same time - and packets of
the SAME subscriber may appear
on them at the same time...

Complicated :-)   that's my life (-:

yours,