Re: packets of multiple users sent over the same TCP/IP session

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:42:28 +0200, Haim Rochberger <haimro@xxxxxxxxxx>  said:

> I will appreciate your help as it will help in making a better design
> decisions.

Hmm.. been a while since I've had to post this. ;)

The first thing you want to do is take a step *back* from the problem, and ask
yourself what problem you're trying to solve via this multiplexing.  You
already said you didn't want to use tunneling, but at the same time you gave us
insufficient information to know if SMPP or anything similar is applicable to
your problem. With the information you gave, it's likely many will fear to give
you any really useful answers for fear of sending you in a totally useless
direction.

For all I know, HTTP pipelining may be a solution to your problem - in that
scenario, you have in-flight packets for multiple HTTP requests (read
"subscribers") active at the same time.  On the other hand, although it meets
the requirements you stated, it's almost certainly not the right answer.  But
not knowing what problem you're trying to solve, it's hard to say.

Basically, you need to make sure that what you have in your hand is a nail
rather than a screw *before* you start selecting hammers....