Re: Extended: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Hello,
At 04:37 AM 13-05-2020, Stephen Farrell wrote:
Strongly disagree. The LLC will handle the money. I think
it is entirely necessary to constantly document our goal
that despite holding the purse-strings, the LLC does not
call the shots, as that is an extremely peculiar setup.
We need to call that out for readers who might not know
it, and also keep reminding ourselves too.

The point which Stephen raised was discussed during the work which led to the setup of a LLC. It was argued that the IETF should not be concerned about putting in safeguards to prevent that as it is the type of issue which would not be a problem for the IETF as it is different from every other organization in the world.

I understand that it is better to make one-sided arguments to win an argument. However, I am not enthusiastic about winning arguments. Ihe LLC Executive Director made some good points, e.g. it would be difficult to sell the product as it is not clear what the product is.

I would like to thank the LLC for its responsiveness. There are some points on which I disagree, e.g. using a different approach to send a memorandum to the IETF community. The approach for this consultation comes out as driving the draft through with the LLC deciding about, for example, IAB values, objectives, etc. My experience of disagreeing with Stephen is that does not work well.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy