Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108

What we might well end up having to consider is 'where can we meet?'. I see zero possibility of meeting in Madrid and almost no possibility of Bangkok. We may be lucky if we can meet in 2021.

That is my assessment also.

As well as the objective criteria put forward there is the additional criteria that a critical mass of participants are likely to attend. Besides the first order set of criteria set out, there is the question or whether participants (strongly influenced by their families) are willing to travel, and whether their employer is willing to let them travel. So when the objective criteria are met, there needs to be a second stage assessment of how likely it is that we see sufficient attendees with the right skills to make the meeting viable.

Meanwhile I think we need to be working on the assumption that we will not meet FWF for the foreseeable future. That means constructing a viable alternative to F2F and a means to reestablish the organisation’s momentum which seems to be sliding without the heartbeat of the meeting series.

- Stewart