Re: Marking TCP/UDP Port 109 as "Historic"

--On Thursday, May 7, 2020 11:32 -0700 Joseph Touch
<touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note also that RFC7605 deprecates the assignment of system
> ports anyway:
>
>    >> Developers SHOULD NOT apply for System port number
> assignments    because the increased privilege they are
> intended to provide is not    always enforced.
>
> So all of this is moot.
>
> Note also that we're suggesting - at most - that there be a
> *note* that the protocol is historic (this can be done for all
> currently historic), but really that's irrelevant anyway. We
> don't even have all ports tied to their corresponding RFCs
> either.

And that goes to one of the concerns about definitions in my
prior long note.  If it is worth noting in the registry that the
_protocol_ associated with a registration is historic, then go
for it, but be sure the terms used and/or definitions in the
registry make it clear that "historic" is about the protocol,
not the registration.   As Joe sort of suggests, that could
probably be automated with a little tooling work.  It also
wouldn't accomplish much.  There is, AFAICT, so such thing as
making a _registration_ historic without de-assigning the port
number.   We've been told this isn't about de-assigning the
number, so there is, at least, some confusion.  And, if the
number is not de-assigned, discussions about when and how it can
be reused do not seem relevant, at least to me.

best,
   john