Re: On IETF funding from the Internet Society (was Re: News about the Internet Society and PIR.)

On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 09:11:31PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2020, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>
> > IMHO, IETF (LLC) would financially be a lot safer off for the future if
> > it would have only sources of revenue that where not depending on ISOC.
> > Aka: split up the asset between ISOC and IETF LLC before its too late.
>
> What is "the asset" here?

..org

> And why does IETF get half of that?

I didn't say half, i was just suggesting to consider cutting financial
ties between ISOC and IETF given their evolving differences in mission,
i have no idea what a fair split would be.

> Do you mean half a billion dollars for .org?

Yes, to the best of my understanding, the proposed deal was 1.3 B,
including 300 million deficit by the buyer, aka: net value 1 B
by the cancelled deals evaluation.

> They aren't getting it and even if they find a better way to get that,
> it would be over 10+ years, so that is hardly "splitting up"?

Was the Ethos deal over 10 years ?

Yes, today, there is no "splitting up", given how the ISOC structure
works. IETF still depends on getting checks from ISOCs.

> Also, why would or should ISOC
> give half of this asset to IETF? I didn't think the .org agreement
> with ICANN, PIR and ISOC contained specific language about IETF funding,
> but I could be wrong here.

AFAIK, ISOC was once created as a care taker for IETF and the Internet,
and i think that inheritig .org was meant to support that mission,
but i raised exactly your question to Andrew in my prior email.

Toerless