Re: News about the Internet Society and PIR.

Inline

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 11:56:31AM +0200, Leif Johansson wrote:
> I am not sure why having IETF around "forever" is a good thing.
>
> Personally I'd rather the IETF that goes away when it has outlived
> its usefulness than stick around forever funded by the "endowment"
> while keeping a priviledge class of "standards professionals"
> around to produce paperwork.

IETF technologies are fueing almost all aspects of the economy across
the planet, far beyond the Internet.  I think it is completely theoretical
idea that those technologies would not benefit from ongoing research,
architecture and standardization for the next 50 years or more.

The best way IMHO to use such guaranteed endowement would IMHO be to use
it to finance well understood dependencies that continue to exist
even under fluctuation of innovation, such as RFC-Editor,
IANA and IMHO Datatracker/Tooling. Of course i would love to
primarily see short term strong investments into better virtual
conference tooling.

> I'm not saying were there today but lets not bemoan the lack of
> funding that might greese those particular skids. You know what
> they say about the mother of all invention...

I would love for IETF to survive and be strong given how its AFAIK
the only networking SDO that has free individual membership purely
based on contribution. My interest "how to handle the case when
the IETF should go away" is solely in how to avoid that to become
necessary.

Cheers
    Toerless

--