On IETF funding from the Internet Society (was Re: News about the Internet Society and PIR.)

Hi,

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 06:51:02AM +0100, Stewart Bryant wrote:
> I asked this once before, and was told that the key to IETF future funding was this sale.

I'm writing with my ISOC staff hat on.

I apologise if anything I said ever led you to such a conclusion,
because it was definitely not anything I intended to communicate.
What I _did_ want to communicate was that a very large percentage of
ISOC's revenue (which is revenue on which the IETF depends for roughly
half of its funding) comes from a single company in a single industry.
The domain name industry does not seem likely to dry up tomorrow, but
it basically depends on selling annual leases on identifiers made out
of letters, digits, and hyphens.  The risk of the revenue drying up
appears to be low and so the income stream appears to be stable.  But
prudent management of an income stream suggests that heavy dependence
on _any_ single source of income like this is unhealthy, because if an
income-collapse risk (however low the chance) comes to pass, the
result is catastrophic.  To put it another way, if the Internet
Society already had a well-diversified income stream, divesting itself
of the one from PIR would be a foolish move indeed; but that's not the
world we live in and so greater diversification was desirable.

In that sense, the "key to IETF's future funding" does depend on
ISOC's future finances.  PIR's long-term health would likely be better
with certain kinds of attention that the Internet Society's Board of
Trustees will basically never be able to provide (because of the way
it is selected), and so ISOC's future funding situation remains more
difficult to forecast.

But I am confident that, as long as the Internet Society exists and
the IETF continues to be useful to its participants, the IETF will be
able to depend on strong financial support from ISOC (should that be
desired).  The LLC agreement committed ISOC to an interim contribution
of $5M/year with the expectation that the amount would be recalculated
after things had started up and an understanding that the IETF might
well be looking for more support.  The COVID-19 situation has made
things even more uncertain, but ISOC in any case committed for budget
purposes to extending the minimal $5M for another year, pending
understanding of what the budget comes to look like.  The IETF
continues to appoint 1/3 of ISOC Trustees; there is currently an
effort by chapters to change the governance model, and I hope that
those in the IETF who are interested in this topic pay attention to
those developments.

As to the planned services and budget and so on, I think those are
questions that are properly the province of the IETF LLC or (more
likely) Jay.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
President & CEO, Internet Society