RE: Protecting Copyright.

Hi Khaled,
At 06:07 PM 30-04-2020, Khaled Omar wrote:
I think the only difference is that RFCs are promoted IDs to be standards, this gives the permission to those who are interested to apply it the same way, and for sure they will earn from it, so this doesn't means to apply the contents without permission (or acknowledgment or agreement) between the authors (or developers) and the interested parties.

The license which is applicable for an IETF RFC is the same as the one for an I-D. There isn't any requirement to seek permission. That does not mean that a person can blindly copy parts of the work. It is considered as dishonest, in some venues, to represent the work of another person as your own work. The law can be invoked if the interested parties cannot reach an agreement on whether there should be an acknowledgement. There are other ways to protect the idea, e.g. patents were mentioned on the thread. It is the responsibility of the party who "owns" the work to ensure that the work will be protected as the party wishes.

For your example, the book, you still have the right to either stop, share the profit (if there is a rpofit), or don't care (keep silence and continue watching) if some parties used your book for their personal investment if the "same" book is copied to protect your own rights.

Yes. It is different for IETF specifications as they are published so that anyone out there can implement those specifications. It would not be a good idea, in my opinion, to copy them without, for example, the copyright notice. Commenting on whether I would be silent if someone copies my book, I would say that it depends on the situation.

Any kind of contribution should be valued when the ID reaches the best form and becomes a standard as long as all defects (if there are) will be fixed, and if you will ask about it, no one can blame you, it is your right.

Ok.

I cannot say I've better expertise than yours as long as I don't know you or your experience, but regarding mistakes, it is our human nature, we do mistakes and the best of us are those who learn from mistakes and never do it again (it is on our beliefs, when you do a sin, and for sure all of us do sins, then ask God for forgiveness, and we don't do it again, this guarantees the removal of this sin as it was never happened), regarding feeling it is difficult at first, it depends on the person, for me, I appreciate it if the correction is really right, or I will be stupid if I will have arrogance and not to accept it and accept to be stupid :-)

Ok.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy