RE: Protecting Copyright.

Hi Moonesamy,

> In my opinion, the IETF RFCs are not the equivalent of a scientific journal.  If I have some exclusive legal right on, for example, a book, it is up to me to see how to protect those rights.  I don't view it as workable for an IETF entity to evaluate who should be acknowledged in a RFC as it entails tracking all the persons contributing to the work.

I think the only difference is that RFCs are promoted IDs to be standards, this gives the permission to those who are interested to apply it the same way, and for sure they will earn from it, so this doesn't means to apply the contents without permission (or acknowledgment or agreement) between the authors (or developers) and the interested parties.

For your example, the book, you still have the right to either stop, share the profit (if there is a rpofit), or don't care (keep silence and continue watching) if some parties used your book for their personal investment if the "same" book is copied to protect your own rights.

> I assume that the meaning of word "criticism" is: the act of expressing disapproval about an Internet-Draft.  It takes some effort to write a review..  The intent of that effort is (for me) to give my opinion about what I read.  There may be a defect in some part of the Internet-Draft.  That does not mean that I disapprove of the Internet-Draft; a defect can be fixed.

Any kind of contribution should be valued when the ID reaches the best form and becomes a standard as long as all defects (if there are) will be fixed, and if you will ask about it, no one can blame you, it is your right.

> I don't know your level of expertise.  It is likely better than mine as the topic(s) which you write about is not the one I usually work on.  However, I do have some experience in catching the usual mistakes in an Internet-Draft as other persons on this mailing list have pointed them out to me.  It can be difficult at first.  After a while, it is, in my opinion, useful experience.

I cannot say I've better expertise than yours as long as I don't know you or your experience, but regarding mistakes, it is our human nature, we do mistakes and the best of us are those who learn from mistakes and never do it again (it is on our beliefs, when you do a sin, and for sure all of us do sins, then ask God for forgiveness, and we don't do it again, this guarantees the removal of this sin as it was never happened), regarding feeling it is difficult at first, it depends on the person, for me, I appreciate it if the correction is really right, or I will be stupid if I will have arrogance and not to accept it and accept to be stupid :-)

> One of the things I learned over the years is that there are people on this mailing list will give credit where credit is due.  It can be a token of appreciation and/or it can be for attribution.

Yes, this is a sure thing, because it is a matter of rights.

Khaled Omar

At 09:07 AM 30-04-2020, Khaled Omar wrote:
>No discussion, no comments, only criticism, actually I use the ietf as
>a scientific journal, to publish my ideas, and they even don't grant
>protection to the copyright in their journal J

In my opinion, the IETF RFCs are not the equivalent of a scientific journal..  If I have some exclusive legal right on, for example, a book, it is up to me to see how to protect those rights.  I don't view it as workable for an IETF entity to evaluate who should be acknowledged in a RFC as it entails tracking all the persons contributing to the work.

I assume that the meaning of word "criticism" is: the act of expressing disapproval about an Internet-Draft.  It takes some effort to write a review.  The intent of that effort is (for me) to give my opinion about what I read..  There may be a defect in some part of the Internet-Draft.  That does not mean that I disapprove of the Internet-Draft; a defect can be fixed.

I don't know your level of expertise.  It is likely better than mine as the topic(s) which you write about is not the one I usually work on.  However, I do have some experience in catching the usual mistakes in an Internet-Draft as other persons on this mailing list have pointed them out to me.  It can be difficult at first.  After a while, it is, in my opinion, useful experience.

One of the things I learned over the years is that there are people on this mailing list will give credit where credit is due.  It can be a token of appreciation and/or it can be for attribution.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy