Re: Six months in: evaluation of the last-call mailing list experiment

I have mixed feelings about this.

I am all for having a way to reduce the amount of email that I received and that I don't care about, and the vast majority of Last Calls that IETF has these days are not things I am likely to want to dig into.   But separating the Last Call list from the IETF list doesn't really help that.   What I'd like is a way to subscribe to Last Calls in specific areas or working groups.   Or if the announcements had a bit of extra metadata attached to the messages, e.g. working group name and area, I could use SIEVE to show me only the last call announcements that I care about.   Then having a separate last call list would become beneficial at least for those who could use SIEVE (admittedly, and sadly, probably a small fraction of IETF).

It also bothers me that the conversation around a particular last call (other that private feedback) isn't all in some place that people can easily read it and contribute to it.

There also seems to be a disturbing trend toward over-fragmentation of the IETF community conversation, for instance the now-common admonition to move nearly every substantive discussion of potentially-broad community interest to a separate narrowly-focused list to which one has to explicitly subscribe.   I do not think this serves IETF's interests, and I think it too often serves to hide issues which should have wider exposure.   Separating last call announcements is probably among the least of the factors contributing to that over-fragmentation, but I think it nonetheless contributes to the problem.

For the most part it doesn't bother me to not have last call announcements cluttering up the conversation on the ietf list... except that sometimes those conversations do need community-wide attention.

Looking through my lastcall mail folder, what I see is that it's hard to find the Last Call announcements for all of the area directorate reviews that have been posted (with different subjects, and without links to the drafts being reviewed).   IMO the list would be MUCH more valuable if it could arrange to group all of the traffic for any given Last Call together.   The most likely way to make this work with most mail user agents is for all of those reviews to use the same Subject field as the original announcement, and for all of those reviews to be replies to the original announcement.   (Yes, it's sad that too few MUAs have effective searching.)

If I had to assign a number to the current implementation, I'd probably give it a 1.5, but slight changes could make it a 4 or better.

What I'd really like to see is some more thought put into the question "How do we make it more likely that Last Calls (not just the announcements) get the attention they deserve?"   I think it's possible that one effect of putting last call announcements on a separate list, is that Last Calls now get even less attention than before.

Keith