Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

On 4/27/20 2:04 PM, Richard Shockey wrote:

On 4/27/20, 2:42 PM, "Michael Thomas" <mike@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

     On 4/27/20 10:53 AM, Richard Shockey wrote:
     > Actually the US Government is trying to mandate interoperable video calling.
     >
     > https://www.fcc.gov/fcc-announces-membership-nanc-interoperable-video-calling-working-group

     Ah, interesting. Which would be the forcing function to overcome
     monopolists desire for centralization. Does this have any likelihood of
     overcoming the vested interests?

RS>  Which set of vested interests are you talking about <snicker hurrumph>?  If it’s the service providers they really don’t care.  Believe me I've spoken to all of them about this over the years.  "There is no money in this." "It’s a pain in the <fill in the blank>" "How do I monetize this?"   The USG has several interests here and the gigantic sticking point is the Telephone Number to URI translation.  It's now a constant issue.  Not only in implementing STIR/SHAKEN but a bunch of other stuff as well.  A subject I'm intimately familiar as the former co-chair of the IETF ENUM WG that produced RFC 6116.  I've had calls.  "So Shockey do you think its time to revive the ENUM WG to add DoH to 6116?"  A: "Well you know my consulting fees."
Service providers, like say Zoom? Or like Telephants? Sorry it's not clear from the context here to me. Obviously Zoom and Facebook couldn't care less about telephone numbers, so they would be the vested interests to not wanting to do federation, right? So maybe you're talking about Telephants. Are you trying to tell me that they have finally wised up to their fever dreams about being something other than bit providers?? If so, will wonders never cease.

I'm on the FCC North Americian Numbering Counsil and have been for over 9 years.  The FCC wants video calling to assist the disabled but also to foster its initiatives in Telemedicine.  I get it. I've used it and once US Health and Human Services would allow reimbursement under Medicare  the market exploded.  Everyone is on a ZOOM kick right now, JItsi and dominance of  of Gotomeeting and Webex.  I understand the problem which is why I find this thread so amusing.  Don’t get me started on the issues with WEBRTC and the APP vs browser dominance.

  That said the biggest proponent of video calling is actually the US Dept of Defense.  Those folks just LOVE video calling and Telepresence but when it comes forking out the bucks they would rather buy a new multi-billion dollar sub or something like that than deal with the infrastructure issues they would have to cover in both their red and black networks.

There is some progress here. The odd thing is US efforts to kill off robocalls may actually enable ubiquitous an interoperable video calling.

Well, but STIR/SHAKEN doesn't solve the spoofed identity for non-telephone sip: uri's problem (and it took me an inordinate amount of time to understand that). If you wanted to solve for federated video calling, it would be a lot better to steer well clear of old PSTN'isms IMO. I mean, what value does old PSTN stuff bringing to the table? Everything is just an IP endpoint these days. That is why I've been poking around with this space. It's definitely good to know that federation is not a dead letter. Maybe mostly dead, but that's not the same as all dead.  :)

Mike, channeling Miracle Max