Re: Re[6]: www.isoc.org unreachable when ECN is used

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:55:41 -0500
"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:10:44PM +0100, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
> > The dumb authors, I think, are those who built Linux implementations
> > that doggedly attempt to negotiate ECN and are unprepared for cases
> > where it does not work, even though it's unreasonable to assume that the
> > entire world is equipped to handle ECN or that all other hosts will
> > cheerfully ignore the setting of bits that are supposed to be zero.  In
> > this context, Linux is beginning to remind me of Netscape in the early
> > days.
>
> What Linux implemented was specifically what was specified by RFC
> 3168, no more no less.  This RFC was in fact designed to deal with
> hosts that were not equipped for ECN.  The issue is whether or not
> intermediate hosts are justified in dropping packets just because some
> bits that were reserved for future use are no longer zero.  I would
> argue no.

In summary, "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." ?

Firewalls could be considered to be performing QA for defined protocol fields. I agree that reserved fields shouldn't be "QA"'ed for their default values. I can't remember exactly where I saw the definition, I've understood reserved fields to mean "could change in the future, don't rely on this default value".

> In fact, while many or most hosts do not support ECN, very few errant
> firewalls and/or load balancing boxes were dropping packets that
> support ECN.  Firmware updates have been available for over two years
> to fix those firewalls are broken, including no doubt the ones used by
> ISOC.  It's just that the ISOC firewall admins simply haven't had the
> wit to upgrade their firewall firmware.  Pretty much all of the
> commercial websites were fixed a long, long, LONG time ago.
>
> 						- Ted

This problem doesn't seem to be that uncommon, I can't seem to access one of the fathers of the Internet's home pages with ECN switched on either.

Regards,
Mark.