Re: www.isoc.org unreachable when ECN is used

Stig Venaas writes:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:23:08PM +0100, Simon Leinen wrote:
>> Ole J Jacobsen writes:
>> > Yep, works fine for me, Stef. Time to switch providers?
>> > :-)
>>
>> Time to disable ECN?

> Well, the real issue is who has a broken TCP implementation, or
> firewall or other device that mishandles those packets. It's a lot
> of work to fix that everywhere, but sites like www.isoc.org should
> be a reasonable place to start.

Yes, of course.  Stef's not at fault here - www.isoc.org should be
fixed to tolerate ECN (or, even better, support it).

Maybe ISOC should start an activity (with themselves :-) about the
benefits of a transparent Internet, and how "intelligent" middleboxes
prevent successful deployment of mechanisms such as ECN (Explicit
Congestion Notification) - which was designed to be simple and
backwards compatible, is well-understood and widely recognized as
beneficial for the Internet as a whole.

(I already submitted www.isoc.org:80 to the "ECN Hall of Shame" under
http://urchin.earth.li/cgi-bin/ecn.pl :-)
--