Re[4]: www.isoc.org unreachable when ECN is used

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx writes:

> The problem is that the most common failure mode is *not*
> getting an RST back, but getting NOTHING back because
> some squirrely firewall between here and there is silently
> dropping packets with bits it doesn't understand.

Ah ... that would definitely be a bug with the firewall, then.

However, a slight complication is that firewalls normally do not enter
into TCP/IP conversations as proxies for the true correspondents--so is
it really appropriate for a firewall to send a RST on behalf of some
other host?  If the firewall really is a legitimate proxy as well, no
problem, but if it is intended to be fairly transparent, holding
conversations with a distant host in a way that gives the latter the
impression that it is talking to someone else is risky business.

I also don't see why a firewall would drop packets just because reserved
bits are set, although I can see why it might be a configurable option
for the most paranoid users.