Re: IETF58 - Network Status

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:22:25 -0500
"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Another suggestion - it would have been real useful if the software
> > on my laptop could have been told to ignore some APs (or some other
> > laptops pretending to be APs), or to only listen to this other set
> > of APs.  White/black listing of APs...
>
> On Linux machines, as root type the command:
>
> iwconfig eth1 ap 00:0C:30:1A:69:A2
>
> To force the access point to be 00:0c:30:1A:69:A2

You're lucky that your driver and card support this.

> I don't know if there's a way to make this work for those cards where
> the ap selection is done in firmware.

Unfortunately, the driver for my Lucent card doesn't support this
command and I presume that it's not possible w/ the current firmware. As
someone already stated: though the card was quite good and stable at
past meetings, this time it was really annoying. Either the firmware
needs an update to take the new conditions (mixed environment w/ ad-hoc
nets) into account or I'll have to change the vendor.

Roland