Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Larry Smith wrote:

> > Both of these are perfectly valid responses. You get them at the same
> > time, or you get the second one sooner.
>
> Not quite totally true.  In the second case - it _will_ connect and initiate
> the transfer (helo, mail from, rcpt to) phase of _sending_ the message.  It
> will fail, but it will make the attempt.  Whereas with the first case it will
> never try.  The second is much, much slower from the perspective of a mail
> server.

Some may never try. Sendmail won't try in that case. But it is perfectly
valid to wait and try again. In such a case, the wait time is typical 3 to
5 days.

In the second case, it takes usually about 300ms to setup a tcp
connection, and fail. This 300ms isn't too long to wait.  I doubt that
most people would notice.  Quite a lot of fuss over 300ms, I think.

And I am just thrilled to see IE not go to MSN when I type in a wrong
name. I've been showing this to everyone. Most people like the
demonstration, and trust Verisign more than Microsoft.

		--Dean