Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Dean;

> > > The only reason to have domain names registered is to use it
> > > through DNS.
> >
> > The only reason we have DNS is to associate information such as IP
> > addresses with names.
>
> I think you should clarify your terminology.
>
> You say "names". But, is it "whois names" or "domain names"?

I mean "people useful" names. Whois is a protocol for accessing the
registration of names. DNS is a a protocol for distributing Records
associated with names.  Registries of names are found all over
civilization. At the Department of Motor Vehicles, at the Patent and
Trademark Office, at the Department of State Division of Corporations,
etc.

> I think you know what D and N of DNS stand for.
>
> > Registration is far more important than the
> > protocol.
>
> In this context, yes.
>
> I'm talking about not protocols, but names retrieved through the
> protocol, domain names retrieved through DNS.

So am I, above.

> In this case, "someone" was verisign.

Verisign was given that control, and there is no evidence that they have
somehow abused that control.

> It mathematically means:
>    Registration !-> DNS
>    DNS !-> Registration

No, that isn't what it means, mathematically. But perhaps this is what it
means to you. If so, this is the source of our difficulties.

> > I think you missed this:
> >
> >    Registration -> DNS
> >    DNS !-> Registration
>
> Study mathematics.

I have.  I think you need to go back and check out your logical
connectives.  The following is a perfectly valid construction:

  Registration -> DNS
  DNS !-> Registration

It represents the relationship between domain names services, and
registration services.

		--Dean