Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Doug Royer wrote:

> So even if you were right, it busts the MTA:
>
> Prior to the change, the MTA would say "NO SUCH HOST" and never send the
> email (and my MTA was built into my MUA).
>
> Now the MTA gets the 64.94.110.11 address and sends the email to the non
> existent domain. Only for the same MTA to later get a bounced email that
> it has to make available to the MUA.

It never sends the email in either case. In the first case, it will say no
such host, and return an error to the user.  In the second case, it will
attempt to connect to 64.94.110.11 and will get an error, which will be
returned to the MUA.

In both cases, it is permissible for the MTA to try again later in the
first case.

Both of these are perfectly valid responses. You get them at the same
time, or you get the second one sooner.

		--Dean