Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

Dean;

> > > The "set" is the set of *registered* names.  The proper and only way to
> > > query this set is through whois.
> >
> > The only reason to have domain names registered is to use it
> > through DNS.
>
> The only reason we have DNS is to associate information such as IP
> addresses with names.

I think you should clarify your terminology.

You say "names". But, is it "whois names" or "domain names"?

I think you know what D and N of DNS stand for.

> Registration is far more important than the
> protocol.

In this context, yes.

I'm talking about not protocols, but names retrieved through the
protocol, domain names retrieved through DNS.

> > If you disagree, let me control DNS reply of your domain "av8.com",
> > while keeping whois response to "av8.com" as is.
>
> I also say that power is of secondary importance to computing.  What we
> are interested in is the result of computing.

As the computing use DNS, not whois, the result of computing is
controlled by DNS.

> We do not care about power,
> unless I give you control over the power switch.

You are saying we should care about power, if we give someone
control over the power switch.

In this case, "someone" was verisign.

> > > DNS has nothing to
> > > do with registration