Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Dean;
>
> > The "set" is the set of *registered* names.  The proper and only way to
> > query this set is through whois.
>
> The only reason to have domain names registered is to use it
> through DNS.

The only reason we have DNS is to associate information such as IP
addresses with names.  Registration is far more important than the
protocol.

> Whois may be a useful tool for registration convenience but is of
> secondary importance.

This is the tail wagging the dog.

> If you disagree, let me control DNS reply of your domain "av8.com",
> while keeping whois response to "av8.com" as is.

I also say that power is of secondary importance to computing.  What we
are interested in is the result of computing.  We do not care about power,
unless I give you control over the power switch.

> > DNS has nothing to
> > do with registration
>
> If you are arguing that verisign registration has nothing to do
> with DNS, I have no reason to disagree.

I think you missed this:

   Registration -> DNS

   DNS !-> Registration

The symbol '->' is read to mean "implies something about".

You are correct that Registration has a lot to do with DNS. But DNS has
nothing to do with Registration, as I said. You cannot check a
registration via DNS.  This is what abusers of reverse DNS are doing, or
rather, were attempting to do.