Re: Careful with those spamtools.....

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Shelby Moore wrote:

> I agree with Dean and I think conceptually that ALL existing anti-spam
> (that is currently in public domain that I am aware of) is useless and
> even harmful as Dean points out (in long run) because they filter things
> which are not spam, just sometimes (even if most of time so far)
> correlated to spam.

I do not think that _all_ anti-spam is useless.  Only that some of the
less well considered ideas have been harmful.

I think that content analysis holds much promise. Only a few years ago, we
thought that speaker-independent voice recognition was science fiction.
Along similar lines, I think it will be possible for intelligent agents to
decide whether email is likely to be interesting to us.

		--Dean