Re: Proposal to use DNS as public key repository

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Sergey Babkin wrote:

> Dean Anderson wrote:
> >
> > I propose we use DNS to keep the meeting minutes.
> >
> > Seriously, two things: This should be on namedroppers, and I have some
> > issues with it.  Most obvious being that LDAP is already used in this
>
> As far as I understand, LDAP has a different scope: it's intented
> to be used within an organization while DNS has a world-wide
> distribution.

LDAP, like X.500, is designed with a globably unique namespace.  I
understand there are patches to do referals to other servers based on DNS
lookups of the CN. I've never run them, so I can't say to much about the
details. But I guess it works.

> > capacity. Secondly, there are multiple mail servers that handle a message.
> > Just look at the headers from an ietf list message. Having each mailserver
> > do these lookups and then sign the message many times is a lot of work,
> > and adds many times more text to the message in the form of signatures.
>
> In the simplest way it's enough to sign only at the first server
> that receives the message from the user and check the signature
> only on the last server that drops the message into an user's
> mailbox.

OK.

> > Further down on the list is the comment that mailserver authentication
> > isn't widely used.
>
> Well, the e-mail authentication is only one use of the keys in DNS.
> Actually, even the use of them for remote login is such not a bad idea:
> when establishing a login instead of requesting a public key
> from the user by some other means, the admininistrator can just
> pull it from DNS and store locally to prevent the possibility of
> spoofing in the future.

It could have been spoofed in the first place. And login assumes I always
have a static IP. If I have a dynamic IP, am I supposed to do a dynamic
update of my key?

		--Dean