RE: primary purpose of firewalls

Stephen,

> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> The biggest problem I've seen in Enterprise environments
> is that people running Internet-accessible servers (e.g.
> in the DMZ) often have no interest or motivation to follow
> security policy; security is secondary to functionality.

Sigh. Yes; to the point that they don't even apply services packs or
patches unless they bring more functionality.

> If you don't trust the owner, you have no reason to trust
> the machine, and a trusted firewall is the only place left
> to enforce security policies.

This is especially true in colos; not only it is simpler for me to
manage 2 firewalls instead of a farm of 300 servers but the fact of the
matter is that two thirds of this servers are colos that I don't have
control over and some of their owners are rather lame in terms of
security.

Michel.