Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:
 > On woensdag, jun 18, 2003, at 21:17 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Braden wrote:
 >
 > > Since 1980 we have believed that universal connectivity was one of the
 > > great achievements of the Internet design.  Today, one must
 > > unfortunately question whether universal connectivity can be sustained
 > > (or is even the right goal) in a networking environment without
 > > universal trust.
 >
 > I think we can safely say that 99.99% of all systems that run IP don't
 > want to talk to 99.99% of all systems that run IP. For most people,
 > with a network this large, universal connectivity isn't a goal but a
 > threat. But this shouldn't be confused with universal addressability
 > being undesirable, because this only gets more important as the size of
 > the network increases.

Voice challenges this assumption to a very large
degree. In fact, I not only want access to 99.99%
of the other nodes on the net willing to speak
RTP, but I most certainly don't want to be forced
to go through some forced eavesdrop-tapping,
terrorist-witchhunting intermediary that is
subject to the whims of certain fanatics from
Missouri and Utah who are convinced that peetopee
is the spawn of Satan.

	     Mike