Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6)

on 6/18/2003 1:31 PM Eric Rescorla wrote:

> What applications that people want to run--and the IT managers would
> want to enable--are actually inhibited by NAT? It seems to me that most
> of the applications inconvenienced by NAT are ones that IT managers
> would want to screen off anyway.

Oracle and H.323 have both been historically problematic, and are both
reasonable applications. Home users also suffer a lot with perfectly
innocent services like games. Ignoring the rifle-shot arguments, requiring
an application to be rebuilt or that a middlebox learn to ~emulate an
active end-point are both miserable choices, and generally unnecessary.