Re: archiving of spam (was CLOSE ARSG etc...)

> > > I think that having all bounces (for whatever reason) archived is
> > > fine; I think having it as "web pages somewhere" is overkill.
> >
> > both the volume of spam, and the ratio of spam to legitimate content are
> > so high, that I'm not sure how much longer it will be practical to
> > archive it.  if we were to archive rejected messages, it should probably
> > only be for a few weeks.
>
> My rolling 40 day log of all spam sent to my traps or real addresses
> contains about 34,484 samples in a total of about 242 Mbytes or an
> average of about 7 KBytes/spam.  (Each sample is truncated to ~32 KBytes.)
>
> Judging from DCC numbers from a bunch of medium sized ISPs, the typical
> consumer mailbox receives about 10 messages/day (more than 5, less
> than 20), of which about half are spam.  (Never mind that judicious
> "unsubscribing" can reduce that by about 50%.)

well, some of the IETF lists that I maintain seem to get around 50 spams/day
(at least, if I go away for a day before I cull through the posts from
nonsubscribers, I am likely to wind up with 60+ messages on some of those
lists, of which 59.5 are spam)

but it's not the cost of the disk that matters, it's the cost of backing it
up.  I can think of better things to spend IETF money on.