Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Valdis writes:

> Solipsism has no place in protocol design.

Not solipsism.  Just a reluctance to believe that you are an official--or
even an unofficial--spokesperson for LSoft.

> Granted, but since *your* claim is that most people
> don't do any mailing lists, or very few, I'm not
> willing to concede any adjustment there.

What you do or do not concede is of little import, since readers can draw
their own conclusions.

> Either you have 120M people each on one list,
> or most people are on more than one - your choice.

Or you may have 10 million people on an average of 12 lists, which seems
very plausible to me.

> Sure, it's only 20M people(*) if the *average*
> person is on 6 lists - but that's not the behavior
> you claimed is average.

I'd say that 95% or more of all Internet users are not subscribed to any
list at all.  Many of the remaining 5% are subscribed to many lists.

> (*) Feel free to work the exact number out for
> a Gaussian distrib around a mean of 6 with
> different standard deviations if you want -
> we're talking ballpark numbers here anyhow. ;)

I think my point is made without it.